Just a quick one here before I forget…
CRM workflow is a splendid but limited thing…very limited. So like most, unless you’re sending an email with a fixed attachment to a fixed recipient, you may find yourself wanting more…more in the form of custom activities.
The ability to add custom workflow is pretty cool although limited in it’s own way. Input and Output dependency properties are the big handcuff here. Why why why no activity parties? But I digress. The CrMStain here is a persistence error you get if you create a class level variable in the custom activity. Now not being a WF guru, my sense here is that this is not a CRM specific issue and it’s more a WF thing and probably more a “I’m an idiot and need to read a little more about it thing”. That said, for now it will hold the #4 slot so that I don’t forget about it and do it again.
I really want a new 1080p LCD or Plasma…maybe even 3d…but damn, I can’t help but sit here and look at my 4 year old 40″ 720p Samsung watching Return of the Jedi and think, it still looks good. I’m hoping the dark side wins out.
To attachEvent or not to attachEvent.
Cut to left side of couch, under afghan, cup of joe on the coffee table and SWCW blaring in the background…
Disabled users and disabled organizations can throw the whole multitenancy into the throes of an evil awful useless error message loop.
On several occasions I have received CRM authentication errors, asp.net errors in ISV content and other mysterious errors when I was either:
- An active user in a disabled organization
- A disabled user in the default (or other organization)
In both cases either enabling the disabled organization (which is not really a solution) or enabling the user fixed the issue.
CRMStain numero uno…This little gem cost me more hours on multiple occasions…
My particular scenario starts with a reporting services report created in Visual Studio 2008 and connecting to the CRM database. When I run the report in VS, get results, report looks good, ready to go. I move the report to the CRM server by uploading through the UI using the existing file option. Run the report and strangely the report comes up and has some data…but not all. The report has been thoroughly unit tested and against the same entity record that is now mysteriously missing some data. So google is my friend and I begin my hunt. Nothing…a veritable dearth of information exists regarding the CRM/SSRS reports at the time but I do run into one interesting post that seems like it could be related.
In any event, I found a post that if I can find again I will reference here but for now I’ll just cut to the chase. The reason for my mysterious missing data was that the UILanguageId for the service account user was set to 0. Once updated to 1033, the missing data showed up on the report run from CRM.
So there you have it, CRMStain #1.
Hi all, I’m a software engineer using Microsoft CRM 4.0 to build a fairly complex Claims system for a major insurance company. CRM wasn’t my 1st, 2nd or 3rd technology of choice, but given the company’s investment in the product, and an agenda or two, it became my technology of use. I was like most developers who’ve been exposed to CRM at first. I was intrigued but somewhat skeptical. My skepticism has been tempered somewhat as I find the product to be fairly capable. Of course this learning has left me with far too many CRMstains and scars as I’ve encountered head scratcher after head scratcher of bugs and features of CRM 4.0. For a time it was my honest belief that when Microsoft needed a place to send a developer to die…it was the CRM product team. So get to the point. This blog will be a place for me to recount and immortalize some of the great, some of the good, some of the bad and some of the downright awful things I’ve encountered with the product. Enjoy.